Laurent Soucie and his crew of Technology education students were asked to help with the creation of the award plaque for the Lodi Mother’s Day Run. With the help of the High School’s Building/Construction and Manufacturing One classes, Mr. Soucie was able to organized the creation of 160 plaques that will be laser cut by L.A. Woodcraft with the Lodi Mother’s Day Run logo.Teaching useful skills in Technology Education
The students used recycled maple boards and ripped them down ot size. Then they squared the boards, cut them to size, routed the front edges and keyed slotted the back of each piece. Next they will sand, stain and finish the plaques. They will use a water soluble polyurethane finish. The specific finish is important when using a laser in the last step.
The students learned how to plan, estimate, size and evaluate materials for the project. For many this was the first time using a router or that type of bit for the face of the plaque. They had to work safely since this was a small piece of wood (3 7/8 x 5 7/8 inches).
Working together and keeping timetables along with the importance of detail were an added learning experience. They respected the fact that they were making something that would be hanging in someones home after finishing the half marathon or 5K run which for some runners will be a lifetime achievement.
Student projects in the community
The students complete many projects where materials are supplied by the building owner and students offer labor as a learning project. Some of the past projects students have completed that you can see in the community:
- Lodi Farmers Market Shed
- Lodi Ice Age Trail (IAT) Shed
- High School Track and Field, Soccer and Youth Football Shed.
- The Lodi High School Stage Craft Shed
- The Lodi High School Technology Education Shed
- The Lodi Union Fair Old School House Bell Tower (West Point Town School House)
- The Okee School House Bell Tower
- Designed the guard rails for the Ice Age Trail (IAT) Bridge near Lodi High School
- Provided countless hours of labor on the bridge project including decking, rock moving, dirt hauling etc
- Manufacturing and fabrication of metal brackets and supports for the IAT bridge
- Manufactured decking planks out of black locust logs – debark, planed, cut to length, and routed edges to make fit and reduce edges.
- Leopold Benches on the Lodi Lakeland Hills Golf Course
- Leopold Benches at the Elementary School
- Leopold Benches for private businesses and citizens in Lodi
- Manufacture of signs for local business
- Book shelves for teachers
- Sheds for private citizens
- Engine repair
- Furniture repair
- Its a honey of a time at the Lodi Mother’s Day Run (lodimothersdayrun.com)
- Local master woodworker to laser cut special race awards (lodimothersdayrun.com)
- Lodi Enterprise Supports Lodi Mother’s Day Run (lodimothersdayrun.com)
- Lodi Valley Dental becomes Prime Sponsor of Lodi Mother’s Day Run (lodimothersdayrun.com)
- Lodi Valley Suites is host motel for half marathon on Mother’s Day. (runlikeamotherhalfmarathon.com)
- Sponsors make Lodi Mother’s Day Run Happen. (lodimothersdayrun.com)