The Lodi Optimist’s Mother’s Day Run is on May 12th, 2012 and those of you planning to run the 5K or 10K should plan on getting started while those who are taking on the challenge of the Half Marathon should have a solid base of running days behind them.
In the next week weeks, we will be posting weekly training schedules provided by Diana Karls, ultra marathoner, Ironman Finisher, and Fitness Bootcamp leader, to help folks along with their individual preparations.
The 8 week training program is starting week of 3/19/2012 for the 5K, but it wouldn’t hurt to begin some cross training, walking and easy run/walk cycles to prepare. You should be plan to have 3-4 miles under your belt for the week starting this week and continuing until 3/19.
The 8 week training program is starting week of 3/19/2012 for the 10K. Your base training should include walking, running, and cross training. Your base should include a total of 7 miles for each week up until 3/19/2012.
Half Marathon Training
For the week of 3/5/12:
- Monday – Strength training and walk
- Tuesday – 3.5 Mile run
- Wednesday – 2 mile run or swim
- Thursday – 3.5 mile run plus strength training
- Friday – Rest day
- Saturday – 40 minute cross training (biking, rowing, elliptical, swimming, etc)
- Sunday – 5 mile run
Nutrition is always a concern. Whether its for losing weight, staying hydrated, keeping energy levels high, or maintaining muscle mass during the training cycle, you will have to determine what is the right formula for you. Here are this weeks suggestions:
Focus on protein with chicken breast, tuna or salmon, black beans, 100% natural peanut or almond butter and eggs as your core protein sources this week.
Drink water 8 oz for every 10 pounds of body weight.
Workout Challenge for Everyone
It wouldn’t be right if we didn’t provide some suggestions for cross training.
- Hop on right foot 20 times and then follow with 20 times on left foot
- Hop both feet 20 times,
- Then sprint for 50 steps.
- Repeat but decrease the hops by either 2′s or 5′s each time ( 18x, 16x, etc)
- 2012 Online Registration is Open for Lodi Mother’s Day Run (lodimothersdayrun.com)